I initially set it over in a corner and thought I'd just set the dry mount press on top of it. However, the heights weren't right and I was a little afraid the weight of the press would eventually sag the top of the flat file. So, I have re-arranged the dry side of the darkroom, and built a new under-cabinet as a stand for the flat file, which brings it up to counter height. The dry mount press now sits on the older (and very sturdy) cabinet, and all is well.
Here is the original floor plan of the darkroom:
And here is the revised layout:
In addition to this latest change, you can see that the two sets of shelves have been eliminated. And yes, the door does bump the small refrigerator. It's just a coincidence, but the drawing is accurate.
The new cabinet was constructed to match the others, as all were built for this darkroom.
|The raw material|
Cuts had to be planned carefully. There is an old carpenter's adage: "measure twice, cut once." I measure 2 or 3 times, and this is after thinking the whole project through many times. This was the only way to ensure that I got all of the pieces out of the material I had, since there was negligible scrap and only about 3/4" room for errors.
|the first cross cut|
|all the parts cut out|
Assembly was done with pocket screws. I have a jig that makes drilling the pocket holes easy enough, and a small cordless driver makes the job go pretty fast.
The cabinet was sized to just fit under the flat file, and then to raise the flat file to the right height so that another piece of the melamine on top as a "countertop" would match the height of the other cabinet surfaces. I was fortunate to find sturdy and pre-made plastic drawers that would just fit, and adjusted the shelf spacing to accommodate them.
Everything is in place and I'll be back to my backlog of printing in no time.
|The new "dry side"|